Vol 28 | Issue 1 | Sep 2018 | page: 14-18 | Prashant Arya, Soumyadip Dutta, Aslam Ahmed, Sunit Hazra, Sandip Ray
Authors: Prashant Arya , Soumyadip Dutta , Aslam Ahmed , Sunit Hazra , Sandip Ray 
 Registrar, Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, Kolkata, West Bengal
 Assistant Professor, R.G.Kar Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
 Junior Resident. R.G.Kar Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
 Associate Professor, R.G.Kar Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
 Professor, Dept. Of Orthopaedics, R.G.Kar Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Soumyadip Dutta
Medica Institute of Orthopedic Sciences, Medica Super Specialty Hospital, Kolkata.
Relationship of Avascular Necrosis of Femoral Head and Accuracy of Reduction in Garden Type III and IV Femoral Neck Fracture following Osteosynthesis
Introduction: The most incriminating cause of avascular necrosis following osteosynthesis of femoral neck fracture is still unknown. We investigate its relationship with accuracy of reduction in garden type III and IV femoral neck fracture.
Materials and methods:Thirty patients (M=26) of average age 39.5 years (range 15 to 59) with displaced Garden type III and IV fresh femoral neck fractures are included in this prospective study. Reduction was achieved by closed manipulation in 27 case and 3 had open reduction. Eleven had sliding hip screw and nineteen had cannulated hip screws as internal fixation. Anatomic reduction was obtained in 18 hip (group I) and 12 hips did not have anatomic reduction (group II). All are operated within 7 days (range 1-7).
Results: Patients were followed up for average of 2.5 years (range 1 – 4 years). Avascular necrosis developed in 2
(11.1%)and 5 (41.7%)cases in group I and group II respectively.
Conclusion: Good quality of reduction and stable internal fixation in displaced fracture Garden type III & IV reduce the incidence of avascular necrosis of femoral head.
Keywords: Garden index; Fracture; Femoral neck; AVN.
1. Christodoulou NA, Dretakis EK. Significance of muscular disturbances in the localization of fractures of the proximal femur. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1984;187:215–7. [PubMed]
2. Zetterberg CH, Elmerson S, Andersson GB. Epidemiology of hip fractures in Goteborg, Sweden, 1940- 1983. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1984;191:43–52. [PubMed]
3. Robinson CM, Court-Brown CM, McQueen MM, Christie J. Hip fractures in adults younger than 50 years of age: Epidemiology and Results. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1995; 312:238–46. [PubMed]
4. KRISTIN J S, DANIEL G D. The physiological c o n s e q u e n c e s o f b e d r e s t . Jo u r n a l o f E x e r c i s e Physiologyonline. JEPonline.2007;10(3).
5. Emilios E P, Nikolaos K P, Theodoros A X. Long Term Outcomes of Total Hip Arthroplasty in Young Patients under 30. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2014; 2(3): 157–162 [PMC]
6. Gerber C, Strehle J, Ganz R. The treatment of fractures of the femoral neck. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1993; 292:77-86.
7. Nikolopoulos KE, Papadakis SA, Kateros KT, et al. Long-term outcome of patients with avascular necrosis, after internal fixation of femoral neck fractures. Injury. 2003; 34(7):525-528.
8. Tao Wang, Jun-Ying Sun, Guo-Chun Zha, Tao Jiang, MD; Zhen-Jun You, MD; De-Jing Yuan, . Analysis of Risk Factors for Femoral Head Necrosis After Internal Fixation in Femoral Neck Fractures. Orthopedics. 2014;37(12):e1117- e1123.
9. Min BW, Kim SJ. Avascular necrosis of the femoral head after osteosynthesis of femoral neck fracture. Orthopedics. 2011; 134(5):349.
10. Zhang Y, Zhang Y. Mechanical factors of femoral head necrosis after operation of femoral neck fracture. Chin J Bone Joint Injury. 2001; 16(4):270-272.
11. Lakhani A A , Mahajan N, Sonawane D V. A Comparative Study Of The Management Of Fracture Neck Femur By Dynamic Hip Compression Screw With Derotation Screw Versus Three Cancellous Screws. J of Medical Thesis 2014;2(3):5-8.
12. Lakhani A A , Mahajan N, Sonawane D V. A Comparative Study Of The Management Of Fracture Neck Femur By Dynamic Hip Compression Screw With Derotation Screw Versus Three Cancellous Screws. J of Medical Thesis 2014;2(3):5-8.
|How to Cite this Article: Arya P, Dutta S, Ahmed A, Hazra S, Ray S. Relationship of avascular necrosis of femoral head and accuracy of reduction in Garden type III and IV femoral neck fracture following osteosynthesis. International Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery July – Dec 2018;28(1):14-18.